Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Matt Kenney - Toy Design

For my toy design, I was first inspired by the twist-lock  joint in Alex's presentation on Digital
Joinery Techniques.

I knew that I wanted a piece that could be repeated, and appear simple, but in repetition, be connected and used as a constructive toy.

Size: 2"x6"
Joints: Slot Joints & Twist-Lock Joints
Pieces: Infinite
Machine: CNC Router
     -1/8" Flat Nose Bit
                - 2 1/2" Axis Pocketing & 2 Axis Profile Cut
Time: ~ 1 minute per piece

When first cutting the prototype, the joints were too tight. I used multiple iterations to find the correct tolerance and offset for a snug fit. After four prototypes, I found that the slots should have a 1/32" tolerance while I gave the twist-lock a total of 3/64" offset.



Process:







Final Pieces:





Put Together:






No comments:

Post a Comment